Wednesday, April 22, 2015

"Just put on a little lipstick..."

My mom was a wise gal.  It's no secret how I feel about her as I've written before...many times.  Among the wisdom that she passed on to me are the following....(Keep in mind, most of them are "duh" pieces of advice that we shouldn't need to be reminded....but her reasoning was sometimes comical.)  

- Always wear clean underwear that aren't ratty.  "If you have a car wreck and have to go to the hospital, you will want nice panties on...."  
(I'm sure I'm not the ONLY chick on the planet that worries about that when the laundry is piled up and you're down to those in the drawer that...well aren't your first choice! )

- Make your bed everyday.  "An unmade bed makes the whole room look messy.  Besides, ya never know when company may be comin'."

- Don't lie to your parents.  We know.  (I won't go into that one....but trust me, the woman knew everything.)

- Always iron your clothes before going out.  Don't even think about going out in anything wrinkled.  Just don't.

These are just a few that come to mind.  I could probably think of others and write for hours....but my favorite, that comes to mind today...."Just put on a little lipstick...."

Tomorrow is the day.  3 years.  It also happens to be the day I go back to the oncologist for my 4 mo. checkup.  I will suffer a wealth of emotions.  While deep inside, I've not suffered any symptoms of a recurrence....Cancer is sometimes a tad sneaky and can announce its presence in bloodwork or a scan or an xray.  At any given checkup....I can walk out a different person than when I entered.  Either relieved of a reaffirmation that I'm still "cancer free"....or....well....or the other.

I will come in contact with all of the "cancery" things....the smells, the ports, those who are in the midst of the fight.  It's just hard y'all.  And like every 4 months, I get anxious.  And afraid.

I've written before about my "Cancerversary fears"... 
Here....Survivor...Now what?
And here....Another 4 months...

Not much in the way of the anxiety surrounding an oncology checkup has changed with me. And going on the day that just happens to me my anniversary date....of that day 3 years ago when it all began.....just seems almost creepy.   Prayer warriors, I ask you to pray for me.  And for the kids.  They always wait for a text from me...."just to make sure".....I've replayed over and over in my head, the scenario of what I will say to them if we don't get the "all clear?"  For that is my worst fear.  Also, Please pray in advance for all of those that will come across my path tomorrow.  Those in the midst of the fight.  Pray for them.

Whenever we would be sad, or afraid, or anxious....Mom would always say, "Pray about it!....Now, go put on some lipstick!"  As if to say, put on a smile, look pretty and never let 'em see ya sweat.  

So....in the spirit of mom's advice....If y'all will handle the prayers....I'll handle the lipstick!
Muah!  :)





"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

In Him,
Terri

PS -- I just published my 150th post.  To those of you who have read them all....Thank you for still being my friend!  :)  I'm sorry!  <3

1 comment:

  1. I love you Terri!! You make me smile, laugh, cry, and feel all of the emotions that are yours. As your sister, I'm here for you through and through. As a cancer survivor, I honor you and know what the post-cancer checkups are like (I just had one yesterday!). And, as your friend, I love you and want the best for you always!!!!!!!! You are strong, courageous, and full of life. I remember your mom as being the same. She is proud of the woman you have become, I am sure of it!!!! Keep the posts coming....they are wonderful!! Love you tons!!

    ReplyDelete