Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas 2014

"Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful." -- Norman Vincent Peale

I love this. Simply love it.

Growing up in a home run by a mom who made sure ALLL special days were just that...."special".....allowed for moments of great revelry. The hours spent with each other, sharing in the times at rest and at play, contain some of the best memories of my childhood. When I think of treasured moments that are ever present in my mind, I am reminded of the impressions of Christmases past. The moments filled with the season of wonder and joy. The decorating of the tree, writing letters to Santa, decorating cookies, searching for gifts that I NEVER could find, occasionally opening a package and taping it back because the curiosity KILLED me (and once finding a note that simply read "Gotcha!"....true story....my mom was smart!), constructing the handcrafted gifts for those most loved, always taking the "scenic route" home from anywhere just to look at Christmas lights, and attending midnight candlelight service on Christmas Eve.

My kiddos have experienced much of these traditions....complete with gingerbread houses, Christmas decor, surprises and smiles. Oh... and Jesus. Lots of Jesus. I miss mom. For when she was alive, it was a time for our family to gather and create new memories to hold dear to our hearts. In recalling past holidays, three words come to mind: faith, hope and love. The faith that there was God who sent His Savior to watch over us each and every day. The hope of a better today and the tomorrows still to come. The love of family and good friends celebrating and breaking bread as one. Mom and her special touches made us remember the magic of Christmas. These three emotions were the reasons that this particular time of year filled my heart with such magic.


It hit me....that it is up to me now. For my kiddos to know the magic. I admit that I'm sometimes wallowed with financial stresses, time management, and pure exhaustion during the holidays. I've told them more than once, after review of the Christmas lists....and even further review of the budget....that I may not be able to be as "magical" as years past. Both children, more than once, have told me... "you always say that mom, every year...and its always perfect." That is the good stuff. Our little family is pretty special.

I miss that lady. For when she was alive...the miles did not matter. Christmas was about our family. And somehow, we always made the effort to see everyone....and we seemed to always fit it all in. I've had a hard time with the changes. Read as....this has broken my heart. This year....I'm going to somehow make it happen. Just like she did. Just like she would. Just like she would want. I'm going to wake up Christmas morning with my Mamaw. And my kids will feel a little bit of her "magic." I can only pray that my whole family will one day be together again. For they are in my heart.

We never know when our last Christmas would be. We didn't know that our last Christmas with mom would be our last. I still remember the pain of the first one without her....as we sat around my living room and cried tears of bitter sweet emotion. Life is too short to let one day go by without a blanket of "softer and more beautiful."

I am now mindful of what Christmas meant then and what it means in the present day. In my youth, one filled with the excitement of the Spirit of Santa, Christmas carried an important meaning. I comprehended an air of great consequence because everyone seemed to be a bit kinder and more caring. The heartfelt sentiment still remains for me. With many days now gone by, the emotions attached to this special time have grown to include a kaleidoscope of faith, hope and love. A hope for a new beginning and a time of renewal, not only in a sense of religious traditions, but in those rooted to the spirituality of my soul. A soul that has come full-circle in its understanding of what Christmas means to me.

In this lifetime, I have learned that Christmas magic is powerful, but the power in our hearts is even more magical. Our ability to love one another, to renew our faith and bring hope into our lives and the lives of others, are the greatest of gifts to bestow and receive. Christmas is indeed a time for sharing in gift giving and celebrating, too. And yet, the greatest gifts are not those wrapped in fine papers or dressed in colorful bows. They are those given with an open heart, one wrapped in the lovely ribbons of faith, hope, and love. I've also learned that "Family" isn't defined by blood and a given name. It is those you do life with. Who love you through it. Who are there and make you relevant. Friends are angels sent straight from heaven....and they are my family....when I can't have mine. Blessed, I am.

To quote Charles Dickens' classic tale, "A Christmas Carol," "I will honor Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all the year." Words of wisdom that should be echoed on this day and all the days yet to be.

Merry Christmas and Many Blessings to you.

In Him,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment