Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Anna Marie

As the mother of a self-proclaimed "Momma's boy" -- its really hard when the time comes to realize you're not the only "woman" in his life.  My Sam has a precious girlfriend.  PreeeeeCious, ya'll.

Meet Anna.
Anna is probably the version of me at age 18.  Only much cuter, sweeter, and definitely better at everything than I was.  Anna is first and foremost a God-loving, God-fearing, God-following young lady.  I've never seen her without a smile.  Anna marched into our world just a couple of months ago.  Instantly, my Sam was smitten. Again.  I say "again" because Sam has exhibited the same "smitten" behavior before.  As the summer has gone forward, we have just fallen in love with this sweet girl.

Anna is obviously a cutie.  But she has a quick wit and a bit of sarcasm (ummmm....like me?) that I just just love.  She is a "sporty" girl.  In fact...My son's girlfriend led the Lady Panther softball team to a state championship this year by pitching the final win.  To say that Sam is in heaven is an understatement.  Their "dates" consist of runs at the track, climbing Pinnacle, Travelers' games, tennis....and of course Sonic runs.  They have so much in common its just real cool.  When Sam first told me they were talking...of course, like the true FB stalker that I am....scoped out her FB and twitter.  The first thing I saw was this as her profile pic....


Bowing in prayer....This picture told me almost everything I needed to know.  Period.

Anna isn't the mushy, touchy-feely type -- her "flirting" reminds me of what my mom used to say...."If they pick on you, it means they like you."  :)  Their banter with each other is so fun to watch.  Don't get me wrong....she has a very sweet, loving side as well. For instance....when our family went on vacation, she provided Sam with 6 letters to be opened each day.  She doesn't know this, but each evening before we went to dinner....Sam would get out of the shower and pull that day's letter out of his bag.  He would sit quietly and read it before handing it to me with a smile.  Each letter revealed something she liked about Sam.  Which included silly things like his love of sports and Sonic....to the final one, where she admired his faith through adversity.  His love for the Lord was important to her.  In the spirit of "saving the best for last".....that is the trait she revealed to him on the very last day.  So...it was the MOST important to her.

This relationship is very new.  I've seen and Sam tell her he loved her a few times.  A little early in the relationship and I told him so.  He would just grin and I could tell that he had a confidence in their relationship to share it regardless.  After a few weeks....he came into my room one evening and told me that she told him she thought she loved him too.  I love that she is one that isn't "free" with those three words.

Anna has slid right into our family and we just enjoy her so.  She is quick to include Sydney....even wanting to choke her on occasion!  :)  True big sister style. :)

Lately, we have ended each evening in a big ole group text full of nonsense, silliness, and shenanigans.  I love her humor and her heart.  We talk about "nothing" most of the time....Such as how the name "Marie" is goes with anything.  So EVERYONE has that middle name.  Yes...we are dorks, together.  Sammy Marie, Sydney Marie, Tater Marie (our dog) and I'm Momma Marie.  I don't have enough memory on the computer to list all the "Maries" in #marienation -- but its our thing.  And it makes us smile.  Sidenote:  Anna's REAL middle name is Lucille....My mamaw's middle name!  :)

For years I've wanted Sam to go to a Christian University.  For years, Sam has wanted to play baseball at the college level.   OBU is just not in our budget, and we have a friend who coaches at Central Baptist in Conway.  I've prayed for the past couple of years that maybe a door would be opened there.  And I'm still hopeful.  Guess where Miss Anna is heading to college on a softball scholarship????  You guessed it....CBC. Coincidence or God's plan???  hmmmmmmm....thoughts to ponder.

Don't get me wrong.  After two months of dating in their teens, I don't have them married off.  I don't even know if they plan to keep seeing each other after she moves....and I tear up as I type this.....Saturday.  I do know that if nothing else....I adore this child.  I always want her to feel welcome in our home....to deliver Sonic drinks....and choke my Syd.  :)  Just today, they visited me at work....and Anna walked away and Sam stood in front of my desk and said under his breath...."Gosh, I love that girl."  While it makes me smile, it makes me worry as a mom about his sweet little heart getting broken.  However....I guess anything worth having is worth taking a risk.

She tweeted recently that she loves having her best friend as a boyfriend.  She will learn as she grows older how wonderful and rare that is.  Just makes my heart smile.

I envision Anna coming home to Panther Friday Football....and us traveling to Conway for Softball Saturdays.  For our little group texts throughout the week.  Me threatening Sam that if he doesn't get his room cleaned up that I would withhold gas money for Conway trips.  I see her in his prom pics and helping him to choose her Christmas gifts.  I see meeting in the middle in LR for a quick bite in the middle of the week.  After only a few weeks...I KNOW I'm crazy.  and I'm hopeful.  and I'm fearful.

I just know this....IF Anna is a part of our lives for a few weeks, a few months, a few years or forever....we are blessed to know her and to love her.  I pray for her college experience and as she lives out her dream on the field.  Please join me in praying for this precious child, also.  I'm happy to be her friend and not just Sam's mom.  My only regret is not getting to know her sooner since she is leaving this week.  Maybe we will be blessed enough to make up for lost time.  :)

I leave her with my favorite verse:

Proverbs 31:25 "She is clothed with dignity and strength....and she laughs without fear of the future."




Aren't they just so stinkin cute??

Your best years are ahead of you my sweet Anna Marie!  <3

In Him,
Terri


1 comment:

  1. I worked with Anna's mom such a fun women her parents have done a fine job raising this young lady! Love her mom to pieces even though I don't know Anna that well.

    ReplyDelete