Sunday, August 31, 2014

Salt Bowl "squared"....

It's that week again, friends.  Salt Bowl Twenty-Fourteen.   

For my little family....it's a tad extra special.  Sam's last one.  Sydney Clare's first. And the only one they will be participating in together.  Ever.  It's a whirlwind of sorts. 

This time last year....I wrote about this very game....so let's backtrack a bit and take a look....

http://terricoxbaker.blogspot.com/2013/09/salt-bowl-momma.html?m=1

As I said....whirlwind!!

Syd and the Pepsteppers will be more busy than the players. Pep ralleys X 3.  Extra practices on an already short week.  They are excited.  They are anxious. They are ready.  

This will be her first perfomance in high school. At War Memorial. In front of 30,000+.  How cool is THAT?  I'm both excited and nervous. She, too, is fulfilling her dreams.  Little by little. 

Sam is ready. He and his fellow Seniors are leading this team into this game like never before.  Under their team motto #family....nothing could be so fitting. 

A few weeks ago, I wrote about the Panthers ....so I'll share again...


Every coach and every parent and every player thinks that "their team" is special. Is "different". Is a step above all the others.  And that's ok.  Quite frankly that's how it's supposed to be. But I have never felt before like I feel this year.  The boys and the coaches are that team that you dream and pray for your son to land on.  This could be it.  This could be our year.  



David and I went to see "When the Game Stands Tall" today. Oh how I wish every football player, coach, and parent could watch. How every person who is a part of this game in any capacity could see it.  

It's about a team who had won over 150 games in a row...."the streak" and of course, like most everything, it came to an end.  The coach, didn't really care about the number of wins...moreso, the moral compass and faith and humility of his team. He wasn't into coaching for any other reason than to build young men. Winning was simply a bonus.  

Matthew 23:13. "For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

As I watched the movie, I could relate so much to this game.  Maybe it's time for the "streak" to take a different turn.  Maybe this will be our "Cinderella" story. Maybe we will be the team to win the game that so many don't think they are supposed to win. 

Bryant is bigger and stronger.  They have more depth and more players.  On paper? Maybe we aren't SUPPOSED to win.  But this #family shouldn't be taken lightly.  

I'm sure the smack talkin has started.  Gotten wind that coaches are watching our games and practices and team camps on YouTube and laughing at us.  Sam simply said, "when we win, mom....we win with class."  They define being the best as BEATING the best.  He has told me often how this year really is different. I'm proud of that boy.  He is as prepared as he possibly can be. He's ready. 

Me?  To be quite honest....I've pretty much had "the runs" all weekend. TMI...I get it.  But it is what it is. Not nervous a bit about the final score.  Of course, I want to win.  But I want the night to be an amazing experience for both of my children. I want it to be perfect.  In every sense of the word. 

 I have begged family to come watch.  My kids are never blessed with the rows of family there in support of them. Makes me sad.  This year...will be different.  I hope!

I hope their classmates will support them. Sam gets so broken when his fellow classmates are "less than encouraging" of HIS team.  

As last year, my Salt Bowl Prayer Requests haven't changed:

Pray for sportsmanship and safety.  Ask the Lord to place a hedge of protection over each and every person involved. 

Ask Him to comfort the team with the lesser score.  Since both teams cannot win, there will inevitably be some broken hearts.

Pray for thanksgiving of the talents you will see displayed.  From the hard work and dedication you will see come to light after weeks and months of preparation. 

Pray for those who are a part of the team, but are not given the chance to take the field.  Like our starters ...they, too, have worked so hard and are just as important.  Those jerseys are earned.  And each player deserves to wear them....and with pride. 

Pray for the Coaches.....that they lead our boys into a great game, placing each player where they need to be for the best interest of the team. 

Pray for the officials...that they keep the spirit of the game in check and be completely neutral and fair.  Again....that they allow a FAIR game to be played.

Pray for the fans, that they respectfully support their school and their opponent.  And for God's sake....stay til the game is over.  The boys won't leave the field until the last second is off the clock.  No matter what the scoreboard shows, you shouldn't either. 
I pray people will remember that these are KIDS on the field. Kids who have worked hard and deserve our respect. 

Pray for the Seniors, who have been excellent leaders.  On AND off the field.  That they know they have left a legacy with their teams. Forever.  Pray for our Juniors.... That they play like it IS their last year.  Pray for them all. Pray for their hearts.

Also, pray for all of the spirit teams.  Cheer, dance, band, etc.  This is also their "big game of the year" and is no less important to them.

Yes, this IS just a football game.  But....it is much MORE than a football game.  Do we hate Bryant?  Absolutely not.  Sam has many friends taking the field against him wearing blue.  Rivalry really comes down to love and respect.  We love our schools.  Pretty dog-gone cool.

In a few days, my #21 will take the field.  My Pepstepper will kick her heart out!  And I will be their biggest fans.  Out of 30,000 peeps, they will scan the stands and find their momma.  

They knows there is one person that loves them the most.  They also remember their special fans in heaven.  :)  A couple of grandparents are cheering loudly!  I know there are plenty mommas out there just like me...."Salt Bowl" mommas need prayers too!  :)



As I sit in the stands on Friday, next to the friends I love most in the world....and as the nerves set in for our boys on the field, I know without a doubt....that I will be among #family. For that, I am blessed. 

To you, Panthers.....

Have dreams. 

Ephesians 6:11-13 "Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."



Happy Salt Bowl Week! May God bless this "Panther House!"
In case you're wondering....I'll be the one in Maroon!  :). Go Panthers!!!

In Him,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment