Friday, March 21, 2014

The List

As a momma....I'm normal in the fact that from the depths of my soul, I want my kids to be happy.  From the very PIT of my being, I want them to never experience pain, regret, failure, or unhappiness of any kind.  AND like most parents, I do everything within my power to protect their little hearts.


The fact is....reality deals each of us opportunities, risks, and yes, even some pain. The hardest "apron string" to cut is to place the happiness of my children in the hands of others.  And, since they have both chosen to go down the road of competitive sports/dance, then I've had to do just that.  I wonder if Coaches know what an impact they have on our children?  If they realize that our kiddos hang on every word for the least bit of feedback, validation, and praise?? 


For both of mine, its been years of preparation.  Not just Sam.  Not just Sydney Clare.  But as a family....we have so many hours, and money, and energy perfecting their talents and making them the best they can possibly be.  I hope they will always remember that to me....they ARE the very best.  I watch them....and they are the best where it counts.....in the heart.  No matter where Sam lands on the roster LIST....he is happy.  He is the first one to cheer on his teammates.  He is a leader on the field and from the bench.  That's pretty cool.  I've come to realize over time....that HIS attitude about things is most often much better than mine.  His eyes point to Jesus.


For my Sydney....it's nearing "that time" again.  Try out week.  I've posted about this before....a bit of a humorous satire of our lives during this week each year...
http://terricoxbaker.blogspot.com/2013/04/dance-mom.html


Sydney loves to dance.  She loves to be a part of the legacy of Benton spirit groups....as they have a reputation across our state and even the nation for being superb.  The elite.  The best.  I'm not sure it is possible for anyone to work any harder than these girls do.  It is incredible.


The downside to such a talented group.....is the talent that goes unnoticed.  The girl (s) who have danced since they began walking.....the girls whose families have followed them to one competition after another across the country and spent hours and hours and tons of money to develop her technique and watch them "win".....the girl who works hard and strives to get better and better.....
     This girl may not find her name on the list this year.  This girl may have a bad day.  This girl may not be able to land a quad at that particular moment but can land triples one after another...and the quad is only occasional.  Her toe touch may not reach the stars...but her toes are pointed and her smile is there.  Her technique and fundamentals are solid but on "this day" may not be flawless.  She may be able to do "four to a triple" in tours on any given day...but today, she might have bobbled and fell out of it.  She may have performed the dance....that she learned only one-two days before perfectly 10 times in a row at home....only to forget the ending.  ANYTHING can happen.  Anything. 


I have told Sydney over and over....that I'm not sure a dancer trying  out that can perform every required item on the list with a perfect score.  Some are jumpers....some are turners....some are flexible....and some are not.  She has the technique.  Any trained dancer can see that.  She is a fast learner.  She has learned to be calm under pressure.  All strengths for this week.  Still....a whole year of happiness....wrapped up in a 10 minute tryout.  Yikes!


We have been doing everything we can to prepare her.  Stretching every night....working on her technique....perfecting what we can to score high on every element.  Privates.....clinics....you name it.  She is as ready as she possibly can be.


All this week...as the cheerleaders have been having their tryout week.....I've felt the nerves set in for me.  For her?  She is ready for Spring Break!  haha   She is going on a mission trip with our church, and that is where her heart lies today.  Sydney is happy.  She spreads happiness and points HER eyes toward Jesus.  Because of this...I know that whether her name is on "the list" in 2 short weeks.....I know she will be just fine.


I pray for the girls.  For the judges.  For the coaches.  For the upcoming team.  For the parents and families who will be impacted one way....or another....by the LIST.  I pray for safety, and mostly....for joy.  Lord, please place your hedge of protection for us all.


In Him,
Terri


Note:  I will be having surgery, Wednesday, March 26 -- to have my port removed.  Another chapter closed.....to HIM we give all the glory!  :)  Prayers appreciated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment