Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Momma Unplugged....


Goodbye Facebook….InstaGram…Twitter…

   Or rather, see ya later…   It’s that time again.  When this “Methodist turned Baptist”….aka “Christian” recognizes the Season of Lent.   I am guilty of spending too much time there.  Too much focus.  Placing too much value.  Etc. 

I’ve shared my feelings about social media many, many times in this very blog.  Definitely a love-hate relationship with it.  Like most everything in life….there are both good and bad within it.  Some who use it as it is intended – to share (both news and information, life and pics), to laugh, to seek prayers and support, to love others.  And of course, those who don’t.  Too much of ANYTHING is not always a good thing.  AND….like rubberneckers on an AR highway checkin out a fender-bender….I can’t stop looking at the gossip, the drama, the nonsense.  Time to put it down.  To re-focus.  To unplug.

I’m guilty of “Shushing” my loved ones so I can “finish a post” or of tuning them out with my nose stuck in the phone.  I’m guilty some mornings of rolling over and “checking facebook” before I even pray, do my devotion, or even use the bathroom.  Of reaching for my Ipad before my bible.  I’m ashamed that, as an avid reader, I don’t think I’ve read much more than my Sunday school lesson, and a few chapters of a couple of Beth Moore freebies, since my hiney was parked on the beach last summer.  I even have HOURS of DVR’d favorites that I’ve not watched. 

I will defend myself in that I do spend time on Words with Friends….but other than that….I’m constantly plugged in to the way too many forms of social media at my fingertips.

In church yesterday, Pastor Rick introduced our memory verse for March:

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

This really got me to thinking.  About our intentions as fellow believers.  What a great time to use this time as a refocus.  This is a wonderful verse to lead us into this wonderful time before Easter. 

I met some girlfriends to see the “Son of God” movie Friday night.  Another vivid reminder of all the pain and suffering that Jesus Christ endured so that we could have forgiveness.  Our yesterdays do not matter.    Only our todays….and of course, our tomorrows.  He gave us this grace, folks.  Do-overs.  Mulligans.  Second chances…and thirds…and fourths…and….

Why can we get so fired up about sports (Go Hogs!!) and become so quiet about the Savior?

Why do we so readily share our political views, but sometimes think twice before we speak when it comes to sharing Jesus?

Why do we call all our friends to tell them about a great restaurant we found and don’t make the call to tell them about the Redeemer we know?

Why do we show more passion about the new diet, new outfit, new car, new home, new hobby, new vacation spot, new job, new movie, new iPhone app, new whatever…than a relationship with Christ?

Why is it easier to talk about anything else…than Jesus?

“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power…!” If this is true, why do we often feel so wimpy and powerless when it comes to sharing the most important message in time and eternity?

Something to really think about.  Please pray for me as I use this time wisely.  To turn my eyes back to Him.  And to the pieces of my heart walking around outside my body…..my SCB’s. 

I’m excited to “Un-plug.”  No more “liking”, posting, twitting, tweeting, instagramming, commenting, or updating.  This momma is shutting it down.   Stay tuned…..I know God has some wonderful ways to fill my time, and I’ll be happy to share!  <3

Blessings In Him,

Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment