Thursday, August 29, 2013

Testimony Revisited

All kiddos in, homework done, cell phones collected and next to me (yep!  I'm one of those mean mommies that won't let 'em text all night!) and we are locked up tight.  My favorite time to write....

Today was an emotional day.  A happy day.  The kind of happiness that came through tears.  I had a little chat with my brother tonight about how God is working in us and for us lately.  Ya know, even His miracles are in HIS timing.  I know this.  My God has always blessed us.  But, since I've stepped out in blind faith and given Him my complete trust....at times relinquishing control.....my life is completely changing.

Last March, I stood before my church, family and friends and rededicated my life to God.  I went back and read my words that Sam shared that day.....

Terri Baker
Sunday, March 10, 2013   11:11 am
Clay Cunningham, Minister
Sam Baker, Testimony

These are my mother’s words:

From the day I was born, my mom had me in church.  Raised in the United Methodist Church, my mother and grandparents were always “fixtures” there whenever the doors were open.  My Papaw even “opened” the doors for the majority of my life.  My fondest memories were growing and knowing Christ from the very beginning. I was baptized as an infant and later confirmed as a young girl.  After college, I served in Youth and Sunday school ministry for many years.  In theory, Christ was no stranger to me.

Like many….there were times in my life where I was separated from God. I will forever keep a photograph in my mind of those dark times so that I can never EVER return there again.  Some were at the hands I was dealt, and others were mistakes and choices I made.  Both forced me to live in shame and such regret.  Bottom line….I was lost. 

When my Sam started middle school, he was asked to attend Youth on Wednesday nights at FBC.  We were active strong members elsewhere and I am a believer that we “all worship under the same roof.”  But we compromised and Sam immediately became involved.  Soon thereafter, Sydney Clare followed suit and both were plugged in.  I reached a time when I felt the need for a new church home and it seemed like God was telling me strongly to come to FBC.  My children were here, most all of our friends were here….so I answered the call and immediately fell completely in love.  Some of my mother’s last words to me were “continue to raise your children in the company of Christian friends.”  God immediately placed FBC in our future.

              God is always present in our home.  When I am struggling, my children renew my faith, and vice versa.  From Sam’s reminder of Philippians 4:13 on his wrist, to Sydney’s verse reminders daily on the fridge….We are a team. I stand here today in a journey to make our family complete in the Lord.  I want to be the kind of woman that my son searches everywhere to find.  And the kind of example to my Sydney, that she wants to be the woman I am becoming…just as I honor and seek to be like my own mother.  I seek guidance from my God and accountability from my friends and church family.  For we really are a “Village”.   That the world truly knows “We are Christians by our Love”.  I’ve been reminded over the last year, that even when we separate ourselves from Him, all we have to do is turn our faces back to Him and He RUNS to us…arms wide open.  There is no doubt in my mind that He placed my little family exactly where we needed to be.  I couldn’t waste another minute and literally have been so excited about this day.  True redemption and salvation is leaving it all at the foot of the cross and no longer living in shame, fear and regret.  I am totally rededicating my life to my God and am no longer embarrassed of where I’ve been. Instead, I can be so incredibly proud of where I’ve come.  I want to tell EVERYONE about  Jesus!!!

              My flaws are visible.  I’m not perfect.  I have fallen short.  I’ve been a sinner.  I have been weak. But today, through His grace, I am His child and I am new…..just as He promised.  I know that He has plans for me.  He has work for me to do.  He has blessed me with my two precious children.  I’ve been given another chance at love . A job with Godly examples of Christian men to work for and with daily.  A loving spirit filled church home here at FBC.  He has restored my health. He gives me joy in simple things. Gives me eyes for true beauty.  A tongue for truth.  A heart that loves.  A soul that forgives.  A mind that reasons.  A sympathy that understands.  Friends who are like family.  And family who are friends.  A longing to be kind.  And this “village” to hold me accountable.  And at the close of each day…I will lead MY family to praise and glorify HIM.  And when I happen to fall short, my family will lead ME.   From Joshua 24:15:   “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”              
 
I was humbled and reminded that my faith journey is still very much alive.  I'm not where I want to be yet.....but God is teaching me how wonderful it is to continue my walk and that He is right here beside me.  When I separate from Him....He pulls me closer.  I'm learning to seek Him.  But more importantly, I'm learning to trust Him.  My cup simply overflows.  He is placing so many people along my path to lead me closer.  Maybe one day....I can be that light for others.  Oh, how I would love nothing more than to introduce others to my Jesus.  To truly make other disciples.  I am still working on my own discipleship and I'm not quite there yet.....in fact, I've got a long way to go.  But, its awfully wonderful seeing how far I've come.
 
My joy is restored.  My heart is repaired. 
Yep.  It has really been a good day.
 
In Him,
Terri
 
PS...
 
 
Its nearing time for the Komen Race.  October 19 in Little Rock.  So I will begin sharing my team link from time to time.  Please consider joining my team and walk for your hero.  I will share more details regarding, tshirts, etc.  as the date gets closer.  I would be honored to walk beside you.
Here is the link:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment