Wednesday, June 19, 2013

God's Stage....

Still writing from PCB. I will quote my brother (which I most likely will do often) and say that "if we had to leave right this minute, it still would have been an awesome vacation." Amen. However, I'm so glad we still have a couple of days left!

Monday, we spent all day soaking up the Florida sunshine. Be it on the beach or in the pool. Despite the sunshine, we all were little lobsters at the end of the day. Worth it? you betcha. Our condo is within walking distance to most anything, and the girls wanted to get "henna tattoos" so we took a stroll down the road. Shopped a little and they picked their art. I love it that the Top Gun aviator sunglasses are back in style.....but a small face and very little hair to balance it (as I did in the 80's) -- I looked like a bug. So I was tickled to find a kid pair. hehe Kid prices....Kid face. I'm now cool. (Unless you ask either of my children.) :)

Hannah and Jacob were with us as we tried on hats, looked at funny T'shirts. David promised them each a "treat" and boy, my little Hannah is like her Aunt Terri. Too many options. She pulled David all over that store and finally settled on a little cat in a crate and named her Lori. She was so doggone cute, I'm thinking that she talked him into more than that while I wasn't looking. :) Jacob settled on a crocodile head. A wrestling fan, we searched high and low for a beach towel or something with that theme. So the crocodile head it is.....named him "Jock the Croc".

Jacob is possibly the sweetest child I've ever met. Very reserved and almost bashful on the outside....but fun.ny. When he warms up, possibly one of the funniest I've met. A lot like his daddy. He loves to make up dances.....I'll see if he will let me video each one before the trip is out.....but until then you have to use your imagination. We have "the lawnmower", "the sprinkler", the "shopping cart", the "preacher", the "bread man".....etc.etc. He has moved on to the "Terri"....which is a laughing uncontrollably dance ending in a "snort", the "Sambo" which is "texting" to the beat, etc. etc. Today, we added "the sunscreen".....which is the natural dance done when someone is spraying you with sunscreen and its cold. :)

As if these funny "jigs" aren't funny enough here at the condo....we make certain we do them in public places. More teen embarrassment at its best! :)

Anyway, as we were walking along, taking in all the sites and places along "the strip", Jacob melted my heart. He said, "ya know, one thing I haven't seen around here.....is a church." David and I exchanged looks and chills went all through us. Such wisdom from a 10 year old little boy. I just had to hug him tight! Headed back and grilled burgers and watched Monday night RAW. I think he is pretty impressed that Aunt Terri can talk wrestling with him....as I used to be a fan. Fun day.

Yesterday, we all slept in a little.....as our evenings have been late ones....talks on the balcony, late night snacks, and I'm way into my book. Which I love. Again....I plan to blog later about it. While the details of it are different....I could have written that book. Seriously. I never realized how cynical I've been! And what I've learned about my spiritual walk just by reading it. Good stuff.

Back to yesterday's events. We decided to take a little break from the sunshine, and head into Destin. My kiddos love "Whataburger" so we had a lunch there and headed over to the outlet malls. Had to teach "Sammy" that an "Outlet" mall isn't because the stores open to the "outside". AND that just because others DO....doesn't make them an outlet mall. Lol....Samism's keep coming. He is joined in his "blonde roots" by Chloe. Who thought "dumb" was spelled "D-U-M"....and was met with great debate. Which is why we were forced to purchase "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum" shirts for she and Syd. Guess you know which one Chloe got. Or.....when David said he preferred "Miracle Whip" as opposed to Mayonnnaise......she proceeded to tell us, "I hate whipped cream".....lol. Chloe-isms. Her list is growing too! :) I just love these kids. And so grateful Chloe is with us this week. And grateful for her as Sydney's friend. Never an ounce of drama. Can see this one lasting a lifetime.

Our budget didn't allow much for shopping. Any, really. But the kiddos have their own money so we spent the day searching for bargains. And took advantage of the "Polo" store and all nine of us bought matching shirts for beach pics this week. It's always fun shopping with David and Sam. Their styles are polar opposites. Sam loves the "preppy" look and wears bright colors. David....not so much. If I point something out....he will inevitably say...."that's a Sammy shirt." We were walking through Sak's Fifth Avenue, and there in the men's dept were the colored skinny jeans. David yanks a bright yellow pair and a red shirt and hold them in front of him and lets me snap a pic just being silly. He called it a "Sammy outfit." JUST as I snapped a pic, I get a text from Sam wanting me to come to the Banana Republic to look at some shorts he found.....Yellow. He tried them on with a new red polo to get my opinion. The timing was hilarious!!

After wrapping up the day, we headed back to the condo. David and Jay grilled pork ribs and pork chops, while Leah and I made pan fried taters, mac and cheese, and baked beans inside. Big ole country meal, and of course the new "Dance Moms" was on. We milked every ounce out of another day and there were smiles all around.

Woke up today and visited with my brother on the balcony for a bit. We listened to praise music and just watched the ocean. He and I wondered what Noah must have thought, after never seeing rain and waking up to "this"......we pondered the different reactions he may have had. Mine of course....is that he HAD to have wanted to say "I told ya so...." hehe.

We headed down to the beach and spent another day in the sand and surf. David and I got gussied up and went on our usual Wed. night dinner date. Low-key day and evening. I'm out on the balcony and just letting my thoughts flow. How easy it is to be close to God here.

I've enjoyed this family time this week. And I so hope another vacation just like this one is in our future. It would take an "Old Testament" type miracle for me to be able to anytime soon. Worry is starting to creep in on me of all the financial woes I've got waiting for me back home. I'm so grateful that David has blessed us with being able to come. Even bigger, I'm thanking God often for the little "four leaf clovers" of benevolence he has bestowed upon us. I know that its His hand and His favor that has given this week for us. It is everything I thought it would be and more.

Jay and I have talked some about the worries I face. And I have vowed to not only turn it over to God....but to listen. God doesn't always provide "answers" in black and white. As a Christian, I think I've sometimes expected Him to just "pull a rabbit out of a hat." I moan, whine, and gripe about things I can control expecting Him to dig me out of it. I don't think God prefers to work that way. He works through His children. He uses dire circumstances to bring people together and bring out their very best. He uses low times to make our gifts shine. He creates circumstances, sometimes grim, that forces us to tap into our hidden resources of love, grace, strength and knowledge. He sees the bigger picture and performs in HIS time.

When I look back over the past year....which I do an awful lot. I think most anyone would in my shoes. Anyway, I compare this week....to this time last year. I realize that even though I have questioned why He allowed me to suffer. Why he "allows" cancer. Why he "allows" suffering of any kind. I realize that He never does so without setting a stage to bring us through. I think back over my own illness.....and he gave me David. He gave me a job with bosses who were compassionate. He gave me my church family. He gave me my kids. He gave me doctors and nurses who were the best in their field. He gave me my mother before me.....to pave the way. He gave me my brother, who never ceased prayer. He gave me my friends. The best ever. He placed those in my life to offer prayer support, financial support, and emotional support. These are just a few.

We were never promised joy without suffering. But in my suffering I've found the greatest joy. I've experienced some of the greatest human suffering in my life. When I first moved to Benton, I went to a female doctor for the first time......and they asked me to fill out a "patient information" sheet that basically wanted medical history and such. One question asked me to "check all that apply:"
Did any of these major life changes happen to you in the past year?
Death of Family
Loss of Job
Move to new city
Marriage
Divorce
New Job
etc etc.
I literally could check ALL of those. The sweet nurse practitioner looked at me and said...."Prozac?" :)

When I think back....God knew exactly what he was doing. Just like the beautiful breath-taking sunsets that I am enjoying this week..... He was setting my stage. I know that my story is far from over. He gives us the "mountaintops" so that we can get through the "valleys." As a Christian, I have been known to get angry with God.....yes, I'm really admitting that.....when he doesn't give me answers and miracles on the spot. But when I look back over the course of my journey.....He was only setting the stage for something better. Even though I know as a human, I will most likely take a stroll through more and more valleys.....I can't WAIT to see what he is up to with His "mountaintops".....

Well, my Sam just joined me on the balcony for some Momma-Son time. Precious and priceless. Until next time.....

In Him,
Terri




No comments:

Post a Comment