Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day Vacay

Well, its coming up on midnight of "Father's Day" and our first full day in Panama City Beach is officially in the books. I'm sitting here alone on the balcony of our 20th floor condo, nice breeze, hearing the waves crashing, a half-moon lighting up the shoreline. Peace.

I couldn't wait to blog today. I find myself wanting to take a Polaroid of every moment so I don't forget even a single memory. I am so incredibly happy and my heart is simply full.

We arrived at PCB yesterday afternoon after a fun-filled 12 hour drive. Ok, for me...it was a 12-hour ride. David drove. I napped. :) The kiddos were so excited. Sydney's best friend Chloe has joined us this week and much of their trip consisted of taking self-potraits, more appropriately called "selfies", complete with puckered lips. I learned that selfies over the age of about 20 are NOT cool. And I learned that I AM pretty cool to most folks other than my own children. Which means I embarrass them often. (Score! hehehe).

I love my kids. Much of our laughter is at the expense of my sweet Sammy. God love him.....the poor child sometimes wakes up in a new world every 10 minutes. His "Sam-isms" keep us rolling. Off the cuff, its hard to come up with something that isn't a "ya just had to be there" but for instance....."I think we are going the right way....I remember those trees." Trees? That is your landmark?? lol Ok.

Anyway, we got to the condo, checked in, and headed down to the beach in enough time to spend a couple of hours before dark. The water was perfect. The beach was beautiful. The weather felt great. Kids were smiling. Sam met a buddy to skim board with, the girls were swimming and snapping pics.....all was well with my soul!

Poor Jay and Leah and the kids met several delays, traffic jams, and general bad luck. Poor guys....Mobile is so unpredictable. We decided to go on in to buy groceries. By-passing Wal-mart, we headed on to Publix....called "Pubix" by my silly family, always with a giggle.....to buy groceries. We paid twice the price for half the wait. But oh well....we now had groceries for 9 peeps and a menu for the week. Got it all back and put away and headed to the balcony. That moment when you realize....all the hard work is behind ya and its just relaxation for the next 7 days.

We all settled in to watch a movie and wait on the rest to arrive. The kids put in "Pitch Perfect" and by the first time we saw "Fat Amy," I was the only one awake. I waited up to welcome my brother and his family. They finally arrived and we visited for a bit before heading to sleep.

Woke up this morning, a little too late to watch the dolphins, but woke up to lots of smiles and excitement. Jay and the kids have never been to the beach. He and his family haven't taken a vacation in 5 years. I have been hoping these last few months of planning that they would just love it like we do. Some folks are not "beach people"......and I have been praying that the kiddos love it. We sent Sam and my nephew, Jacob down to "claim our spot" on the beach.....and like true Arkansans, giving them instructions from the 20th floor balcony. :) Of course, ya can't leave the state EVER without leaving a "Woo Pig Soooie" here and there.

We all got ready and headed down. Didn't take long for the kids to absolutely love it. The laughs, the squeals, the smiles. I looked at Leah at one point, and said "That is what its all about right there." :) Jacob and Hannah were total water bugs, playing in the waves, searching for shells, and showing us each and every find. Sydney and Chloe were building a sand castles, writing "Father's Day" messages in the sand to send to their dad back home, and taking pics, David and Jay were out too far in the ocean, Leah and I were perched in our chairs right at the water's edge with sand everywhere you shouldn't have sand! haha Sammy was skim boarding and playing in the ocean. Just another day in paradise......

I'm a picture taker. Driving the kids crazy with snapshots of every moment. Im posting from the Ipad this week, and its difficult to format pics like I like, but will plan for a picture journal of our memories when I get home next week. In the meantime, I'm driving my Facebook and Instagram followers crazy with pic after pic. To me, they are more than that "Kodak moment" and are that "polaroid" of every moment of the day. Funny, with this day of digital cameras and iphones, one of the kids asked what kodak meant? They have never seen film! haha I love these people. <3

This afternoon, Syd and Chloe could be found poolside "tanning" and allowed me to join them. I began a new book that I'd been saving for my "beach read" entitled "Assaulted by Joy -- The Redemption of a Cynic" that was loaned to me by my sweet Aaron. I forgot my glasses down by the water, so I only got a few pages into it. Even so, I can tell by the first 20 pages that its going to be written about me. Can't wait to dive in further. It's already triggering some convictions. Another post. Another day.

This evening, we took the "dads" out for a Father's Day supper. Went to a little local place called the "Wicked Wheel".....it was totally worth the 45 minute wait and yummo! While waiting, Leah and I visited and did a little more people watching. Not long after we sat on the patio, a big large family walked up. Like us, they were snapping pictures, and enjoying each other. They took one that was obviously a few generations of "dads".....Granddaddy seated, with the others flocked around him. I envy those close families that take vacations together and make it a priority. And secretly looked around at the 9 of us and hoped this becomes a tradition.

As we left, the silliness began. My brother is one of the funniest guys I know. We did our own version of the "chinese fire drill".....Jumped out in the middle of the intersection and danced in front of our headlights. Nope, not an ounce of alcohol consumed....just an extreme desire to be totally uncool and embarrass the teens in our group. Complete mortification. Score! :) We laughed and laughed and laughed some more. We took our comedy act and made a stop at Walmart.....braving the lines 20 deep to grab a couple of forgotten items. God's favor placed us by the fishing poles (i.e. Sporting Goods) and the little guy at the counter checked us out back there. As we exited....we giggled at those still waiting....SUCKERS! hehe. Jay loudly asked me if I remembered my hemorrhoid cream.....lol. I retaliated and told him I was carrying his sack with the "RID" in it for the crabs he caught that day. We were total dorks and having the best time. More dancing ensued to the cars as we began our quest for ice cream.

Introduced David and Chloe to Dippin Dots for the first time. Not sure what rock they've been hiding under.....but we had a ball messing with the kids. Jay tried hard to get Sambo to let him "introduce" him to every cutie pie that walked in. And threatened the same to the girls as they urged him to do that to Sam. Lots of laughs and more stories. Complete silliness. Random idiocracy at its very best folks! :)

Headed back to the condo, and the girls began manis and pedis, the rest of us retreated to the balcony to relax before bedtime. I am still here writing about the day. Like Aerosmith sings...."I don't wanna miss a thang....." Jay and I have had some wonderful quiet time today. David and I have had some sweet visits. Other than Syd's smarty pants attitude creeping in every now and again, the day has been totally perfect. Poor thing, she is just like me! I shared with Jay tonight, that in all honesty, on paper we really couldn't afford this vacation. But you can't put a price on this togetherness. Yes, the beach is beautiful. And its awesome here. But the family time is priceless.

I sometimes get a feeling deep down in my gut, that my earthly time is limited. I guess that is normal for anyone after facing a tragedy or journey such as cancer. It isn't fear....I'm at peace with it....but I want to do everything within my power to give my children these memories, and to keep my family close. Jay said tonight, that mom would love this. After talking to my dad today, I wish he were with us. We know that if mom were alive, he would be. There is not a doubt in my mind that she is smiling in heaven tonight, rejoicing with our Heavenly "Father" on this Father's Day. Her heart is full as she is looking down at her kids acting like fools, and the cousins bonding together. A year ago, I was starting my journey with chemo, not really sure if I'd see another vacation like this. So we found a way. As a Pastor, Jay and Leah haven't been able to take a vacation in several years. We realize the level of blessing this is. And are soaking up every single minute.

Jay has now joined me on the balcony....so I believe I will log out and visit. Hope he knows how much I love him. I intend to let him know!! <3

Thank HIM for it all tonight......I am completely blessed much more than I deserve.
Terri

1 comment:

  1. Sam--- the trees are different!!! Especially if you passed the "fork in the road" tree!!! I understand!

    ReplyDelete