Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 "Top 10" List :)


Well, guys….2013 is pretty much in the books.  As we all do, I’ve spent the last few “down days” around the holidays reflecting over the last year.  Funny how fast time really is going by.  As I was getting ready for work this morning, the song “Don’t Blink”  by Kenny Chesney came on the radio.  How true.  Seems like “just yesterday” on SOOOOO many things.
In the essence of the close of this year, and in true “David Letterman” style…I am jotting down my “Top 10 List” for 2013…..Mainly because, in true “Steven Tyler” style, “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thanggggg….” 
Here we go….

#10:  I have hair!!!  Oh the anticipation for so long…..will it be Curly? Straight? Blonde? Gray?   I’ve heard all the stories…Everyone’s hair comes back different.  Not me.  I have the same ole’ head of hair.  (After color and product, course!!)  hehehe.    I’ve gone from bald, to peach fuzz, to scalp bleach (coulda won a Billy Idol lookalike!), and back to the same old me.  I am thankful for every single strand, folks.  I will have a ponytail by summer!  Yay me!!
 

What a progression, don't ya think??
 

#9:  For the first time ever, my family and my brother’s family vacationed together.  A week in Panama City with my favorite people.  God’s splendor was both outside and INSIDE that condo.  I so enjoyed my own kiddos, and my niece and nephew.  Lots of late night balcony talks with my brother.  Laughs, laughs, and MORE laughs were shared.  Of course, sitting on the beach for hours in the Florida sunshine is my own personal heaven.  On the way home, we paid a visit to the Duck Commander.  Such a fun week.  Family time is the best!!!  By far, this was my favorite 7 days of the year. 
 

I love these people!!! <3

#8:  My Sambo….made the historic FIRST Touchdown in the new Panther Stadium.  Is he a star?  Nope.  Did he make it alone?  Nope.  But….in the season opener….the first home game….the first high school game in our new home….Sam caught the pass and was holding the ball in the endzone for the first points scored.  That….was cool.  The play was nominated for channel 7’s “Play of the week” that week.  Many have already or will forget this little blip in history.  But not my Sam.  And not this momma.  It was pretty darn cool.

 

#7:  My prayer life has been taken to a WHOLE new level this year.  I’ve been diligent about keeping a prayer journal, and jotting down specifics….no matter how big or small….just to vividly see how God is working in my life.  We all notice the “biggies”…..but to notice the small ways that He works….even if He steers me differently than I wanted to go….or if I don’t understand…..His will and His plan is perfect.  He is good at reminding us, we just have to notice.

#6:  I have developed and nurtured so many new friendships this year!!!  God has changed several relationships for me.  He has revealed a great deal about myself and others.  He has changed my focus and the changes have brought both heartache and joy.  Change is inevitable.  Especially when it is not necessarily our choice.  But after seeking Him, I’ve realized how He simply filled every hole in my heart.  I’ve met the sweetest people.  Through church, football, dance, work, etc.  I’m so grateful for those new friendships that God has placed in my life this year.  And for those friendships where the love has grown deeper. There are people in my life that I couldn't walk through life without, and are so precious to me.   I’ve also matured in my faith walk to where I can love others from afar…..even if they are no longer a part of my everyday life.  Grace.  Grace is now intentional.  To practice grace….everyday.  With everyone.

#5:  Every doctor visit was met with a tad bit of fear and anxiety.  And each time, I left with a reaffirmation of my cancer freedom.  During 2013, much UNlike 2012, I never took a sick day.  Of course, I missed work for doctor appointments, tests, etc.  But never a “sick day”.  I’ve experienced a body healing  for which I can only give God the total glory. 

#4: TEAM TERRI!  Race day proved to once again be totally amazing.  Team Terri was once again over 100 members strong and it’s a day about the fight, friendship, and just plain ole love.  So proud to wear that pink and will always be amazed at the company it places me in.  I have been able to use my experiences to advise others close to me who are new to this walk.  I’ve been able to try to comfort and pray for those who are taking the cancer journey.  He really can use all of the “bad stuff” and bring good from it.  While I hope to never revisit a cancer diagnosis…..I wouldn’t change all of the many wonderful people and blessings it has brought into my life.
 


 

#3:  In March of this year, I re-dedicated my life to Christ and was baptized at my home church.  While I've shared it before, here is my Testimony…..I like to remind myself.
 

Surrounded by my family, friends, and church family – many stood in support of my decision to live for Him.  All agreed to recognized that I in fact was dead in my sins….and became alive through Christ.  While the lessons I learned and experiences in my past make me who I am, and brought me to that day…..I became a new person.  A moment that I will never, ever forget.

#2:  Just a short week ago, my Sydney Clare became my sister in Christ through baptism, giving me the absolute BEST Christmas present. 

Here is HER testimony....in HER words.
Sydney Clare Baker
December 22, 2013
11:11 Service
Clay Cunningham
Abby Walker, sharing testimony

1. Share some info about yourself:
*I am 14 years old and I attend Benton Junior High. I love to dance and am a member of the BJH Dance team. I enjoy Pure Energy, as well as spending time with family and friends.

2. What led you to believe that you needed Jesus Christ as your personal savior?
*Recently both my mom and brother have been baptized and have both been great role models of how you should live through Christ, and I decided that I could wait no longer. I felt the urge to live my life fully for Christ. In saying that... This year at fall retreat on November 25th I made the decision to get baptized.

3. Share how this decision has changed your life:
Now that I've made the decision to follow Christ, it has completely opened my eyes and totally changed my outlook on life.

Note from family:
To our Sydney:
God blessed us so richly by giving us you.  We are so incredibly proud of the young lady you are.  Your sweet spirit, compassion, love for others, and joyful personality are such a reflection of your love for the Lord.  Your desire to give your life to Jesus and follow in His guidance is a true testament of the Christmas miracle.  You are the essence of Proverbs 31:25  “She is clothed in dignity and strength and she laughs without fear of the future.”
We love you, our precious Sydney Clare.  We stand for you today and always. 
Mom, David, Sam, Dad and Jody.


Good Stuff folks. My “Blessings” cup simply overflows.

#1:  The best part of 2013 is spending every single day with the loves of my life.  My Sam, my Sydney Clare, and my David.  They are precious.  They bring me such joy.  They bring me such happiness.  God has blessed me far deeper than I deserve.






 I saw this written somewhere recently…. “If you’re depressed, you’re living in the past.  If you’re anxious, you’re living in the future.  If you’re at peace….you are right here in the “present”.”  A true gift.

As I watch the ball drop tomorrow night, I will smile.  2014 is met with such peace.  I want to stop mending what breaks MY heart....but focus on what breaks HIS.  No resolution....I just plan to "Be Still."  Psalm 46:10.
Godspeed, my friends.
In Him,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment