Thursday, October 3, 2013

ALL IN: 2013 Race for the Cure - My Story



2013 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure:  Arkansas is October 19, 2013 in downtown Little Rock.  I know everyone reading this is shaking their heads going, "Uh Terri.  We know.  You have been bugging us about it for weeks."  Yep.  Guilty.  I have.  Now I'd like to explain why.

Most everyone knows my story.  I am a survivor (hopefully forever!) So naturally, the Komen Foundation is going to be my passion.  I've given to it for years, long before my own diagnosis.  My mom began walking the race years ago, before this ugly disease took her life.  She dawned the pink, and was the epitome of what that morning is all about.  You cannot attend without getting a lump in your throat.  Unless you have no soul, of course.  I've been on both sides of the bomb.  The caretaker, the "loved one", the "she is survived by....." person, and the patient.  Both just suck.  (Sorry for the language.....but that really is the only word for it.)

For years after her death, I would register for the race.  Year after year.  But I just couldn't make myself go. Of course, I did my part in donating, but just couldn't physically "go." The memories welled up in me and just hit me too close to home.  I love and miss my mother so much.  She LOVED the race.  Now, I know why.  I've always continued to give to Komen, sporting the Komen license plates on my car, "pink" this and "pink" that, and even one year in lieu of Christmas gifts to my co-workers and family, I donated to the Komen foundation in memory of my mother, in honor of each person and let them know of such.  It has been and always will be my passion.  Now, moreso than ever.

Last year, I was wrapping up chemo treatments from my own battle when my sweet friend and Chi-O sister, Jana, rounded up the troops and thus, "Team Terri" was born.  I was so honored.  And yet, nervous.  I wouldn't be able to skip.  (Funny, how God works huh?)  Team Terri grew last year to over a hundred people. (Maybe even closer to 150) I never really got a good count (hard to count a moving target! haha)  It was extremely important to me that we walk together....but not "for me."  We walk for a cure.  We walk for those who have inspired us.  For me?  My own mom.

This was our best effort of a group pic.  About 50 peeps missing from this picture.


I could rattle stats and facts of how many are affected each year by Breast Cancer.  And how the Komen Foundation aids in grants and research.  Each of you can google.  Noone can argue the lives it has touched and saved.

But let me give you a little insight into just how it has affected my team....in the last 12 months.  1 member lost her life to ovarian cancer.  2 members were diagnosed with breast cancer.....(and kicked its butt!), 1 had a daughter diagnosed.  1 spent the year caring for her mother, and 1 worried for his mother-in-law.  Of just these few, countless loved ones....family, friends, co-workers, etc. were touched with worry, love, and  fear.  6 people out of my little team. (I know others who were NOT apart of my team).  These weren't just "team members."  These are all people I know and love. When you think about it in THAT way.....that is a lot of cancer folks.  These were young women, with young children.  These are folks JUST like you and me.  Cancer does not discriminate.  Period.

I know in my heart that I can thank Komen for a lot of the advances in detection and treatment that has been made in the years since my mother's passing.  I guess we will never know if I would have beat it anyway.....but I can tell you, they are on the cutting edge of studying "triple negative" and I am a survivor.  They enabled me to have the genetic testing, which meant a great deal to my family.  More than I can even explain.

Oct. 19, the streets of Little Rock will be filled with pink.  Those who earned to wear it.  And those who love.  It isn't a race.  Its a big ole group hug.  Last year, it was obvious that I was fighting....due to my appearance.  As a survivor, I had more hugs from total strangers than you can imagine.  As we rounded the corner with my team coming off the Broadway bridge, this group of "bikers" on their motorcycles were on the sidewalks cheering.  It is a bit of a "bottleneck" there so we were forced to stop as we made the turn.  A big old burly black man with leather head to toe, with a pink buff on his head, and muscles bigger than I'd ever seen, spotted me and made his way over to me.  He took my face in his hands, and with tears in his eyes, told me that he loved me.  That I was brave.  And that I was a fighter.  "You go, girl" he said. 



I heard a lot of those particular sentiments that day.  But I will never forget that man.  A total stranger, touched me.  THAT is what the race day is about.  Strangers all coming together for love.  And a cure.  Since my team was hit so hard this year, we are divided.  Together, we are going to make an impact on Little Rock.  This year, we are three teams.  But really....we are one team.  With one purpose.

The cost is $25 to register for the race.  The equivalent of a movie date.  Or a few beers.  Or a pizza dinner.  Yes, I know times are hard.  Gosh, I know that better than anyone. $25 usually isn't about life and death.  But this time?  It kinda is.   And it IS a sacrifice.  Our country is in such disarray now and I know so many that are affected.  From what I understand, cancer patients may suffer from the new plans and health insurance will be anything but "affordable."  But know this....Cancer will still affect us.  It will continue to affect us.  The government cannot shut IT down.  Cancer doesn't take furloughs.  We need to support foundations that will also still be there.  Komen fights for us.  For our loved ones.  For our daughters.  We need to make sure we fight for her.  I will go to my grave bugging folks....:)

I also understand about being "too busy" to actually be there.  My Sam plays football in Texarkana (2 hours away) the evening before, and my Sydney Clare has a dance competition that day.  Even still....I will be there.  I will be tired.  I will be on the go.  But I will be there.  Because I KNOW how important this day is.  How moving and touching it is.  All those wearing pink feel enough love that one morning....to last a lifetime.  It is worth making the sacrifice.  It is worth making the effort.

If "life" makes it impossible, the "Sleep In for a Cure" option, lets you still support, receive the Komen T-shirt and race bib, in the event plans change.  Their "No excuses" approach.  I just love it!  :)  You can still make your donation and be a part of this special day.  While there are thousands of busy moms out there.....there are just as many that can't make it.  Komen makes it ok!  :)

This link takes you directly to my Team Terri page.  On that page, you will find my mission for Team Terri......as follows:

2013 Komen Arkansas Race for the Cure
Team Terri: We Walk In Faith
Welcome to our Komen Race for the Cure® team page!
Breast Cancer effects millions.  Everyone has a story.  Mine began when it attacked 4 generations of women in my family.  Heaven gained an angel in the form of my mother at the young age of 49.  This year's race will mark the one year anniversary of my own cancer freedom.  It is important that the members of my team walk for their personal hero. Because sadly, everyone has one.  I walk for my mom.  The most wonderful, Godly woman that I've ever had the honor of knowing.  And I walk for my daughter.  That we find a cure before it reaches her.  
I registered for the Komen Race for the Cure because I want to make an impact in the fight against breast cancer. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation today in support of my fundraising efforts.
As a member of this team, we are each playing a part in helping Susan G. Komen® end breast cancer forever.
Together, we are fueling the best science, boldest community and biggest impact in the fight against breast cancer. And Komen will not stop until this disease is gone forever.
Go ALL IN- join our team and make a donation today!
 
"She is clothed in dignity and strength, and laughs without fear of the future."  Proverbs 31:25

http://arkansas.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/LIT_ArkansasAffiliate?team_id=267214&pg=team&fr_id=3485

The $25 gets you this shirt:
 
As long as you register by OCTOBER 6, you will receive everything right at your door.  Otherwise, you will have to go to the Race Center in Little Rock to register. 
 
 
My sweet friend at Banana Graphics and I designed our Team Terri shirts this year and we are going to be entering into the "team shirt" contest.  Here is a sneak peak:
 
These are the shirts that all the men and women who would like to walk as a team will be wearing on race day.  They are $13 ($14 for V-neck).  Deadline for ordering is FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4.  These are optional of course!  :)  Yes, I said "men" too.  Real men wear "pink"!  :)
 
Race for the Cure is my passion.  You can see God's love guiding this foundation and all who support it.  It is not too late to join.  You can join clear up until race day.  But the dates above are upon us and are important ones to keep in mind. 
 
Please know.  Team Terri isn't about ME.  It is just an avenue to bring all my favorites together -- for a couple of hours on a Sat. morning.  For a cause much bigger than any of us understand. I am not trying to bully anyone into doing this.  Or guilt anyone.  I'm just pleading with everyone to join the fight for a cure.  And defending my position.  If just one person reads this and begins to support Komen.....I've achieved something.
 
 This year's theme is "All In".  C'mon friends....are YOU all in?  Register today!  Please?  Join me in the biggest party of the year....and a bonus?  Marks the one year anniversary of my own Cancer Freedom.  I so want everyone there to celebrate this special milestone! <3
 
Finally, there are lots of angels in heaven -- who lost the battle, but totally won the war.  They, too, are there on Race Day.  And I know one in particular that will be wearing her "Team Terri" shirt. 
 
Again, I'm walking for YOU, Mom.
 
 
 
In loving memory, Patricia Ann Cox. 
May 27, 1952 - July 20, 2001
 
Team Terri needs ya!  Komen Foundation need ya!  Survivors and Previvors everywhere need ya!  We need a cure!  Let's do it!
 
In Him,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment