Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Oh Miley.....

Oh Miley....
I am hesitant to even waste my time writing about her.  To give her even one more ounce of publicity that she was hoping to get with such a stunt makes me want to grab her by the shoulders and shake her until she gets it!  Oh.....after I toss her a bath robe and tell her to put it on her half naked body. 

What on EARTH was she thinking?  Poor Billy Ray....and his "achy breaky heart"!!!  I can't help but wanna hug him today.....and then shake him.....and then hug him again.  I really did say a prayer for these people today.  The ONLY thing that saved me from tossing the phone across the room today with all of the posts and clips from VMAs was that it apparently was "National Dog Day" or something......and being a dog-lover....all my friends' posts of their fur babies kept me sane.  Thank you. :)

Syd was a Hanna Montana lover when she was younger.  Hanna Montana, Cheetah Girls, That's so Raven, etc.  Gone are the days.  Miley....one bad decision and you tarnished it.  Forever.  Taylor, are you next?  I'm not much of a Swift fan....I personally don't think she can sing without "electronic help"  (its just my opinion...don't bash me!), but so far....she hasn't turned all Britney on us as she got older.  Britney, Bobby Brown, the list goes on and on.  Child stars.  God bless them.

We didn't watch the VMAs.  But of course, like a bad train wreck, after all the whoopla on social media, I "youtubed" it and was utterly and completely disgusted.  To my pleasant surprise, my kids were too.  And as a society, the whole "sex sells" premise didn't even apply here.  I would love to meet one person that saw the foam finger, her tongue wagging, her ugly shoes, the crazy faces, and oh yeah, all the "stripper moves" and thought:  "Hey, I wanna rush out and buy her album!"  Crazy. 

After my blood pressure went through the roof, and the mother in me wanted to spank her hiney and ground her for a lifetime, it hit me that everything I DID see was negative.  Of course, yes, I live in the heart of the bible belt.....so of course most everyone feels like I do.  But I'm GLAD to see everyone in agreement with me that it was completely ridiculous.  So call it crazy...but Sydney and I had a long talk tonight.  We actually prayed for Miley.  That she be revealed what a talent she has and how her actions have robbed her of so many young fans.  I do hope we see a Barbara Walters interview in the near future of her dressed like a lady and apologizing to the world for her performance.  Please Lord....convict her and turn her around.  Before its too late.

My daughter loves to dance.  And as she has grown up competing in many competitions....I've watched for years as dance teachers (not ours, thankfully) but as they have put babies in seductive costumes.  Mid-riffs showing, and hineys hanging out.  Everywhere, daughters were forced to look much older and act much older and DANCE much older.  That said, my Sydney was always guided to use her talents gracefully.  She was a part of "class acts"....always.  Sex may sell, friends.  But what is it selling????  Good question, with not necessarily a good answer. 

We have to guide our daughters (who look to US for examples) to treat their bodies as a temple.  To honor God with our appearance, our dress, our "dancing", our actions.  That beauty comes from deep within.  Miley is a beautiful girl....that to the world is now so very ugly.  What disturbs me....is that I feel like someone led her there.  Someone sold her on this.  Told her it would sell.  Crazy.  Though 20, she is still a child.   Sad.  Just sad. I certainly hope we don't see the art of "twerking" on stages, football fields, and school dances across the nation. 

I used this episode to talk to the kids.  Syd attended a birthday party of a younger friend over the weekend.  Most of the girls there were middle school age.  The friend's mother told me how sweet Syd was with all of them and how the girls were looking up to her.  Of course, I'm not comparing Sydney to Hannah Montana (OR Miley!) but I used that example of how we never know when we are witnessing or being a role model to others.  As Christian believers, our words, actions, and even our appearance can reach others....and our goal is to make disciples of our kids. 

Just THINK if Miley used HER audience to spread to love of Jesus?  Wow. 
Something to think about.  I'm certain MTV might have objected.  That, is what is scary.

I harp to Sam about ironing his clothes.  Yesterday, he left for church after us and after Sunday School when I bumped into him I saw that he looked like he wadded them up in a ball before putting them on.  Instantly, I felt that was a reflection on me.  And of course...that is something I harp about.  We ALL should want to look the best we can be on any given day.   But deeper, we need to clothe ourselves in the armor of Jesus.  Can they tell we are Christians by our love?  :)

We can only guide our children so far in life.  But while they are under my roof?  I am going to make sure they "get it."  It is soley up to me to make sure they are equipped with everything I can instill in them to prepare them for this "Miley world" we live in.  I'm so grateful for our village.  And for the remote control.  When we were kids.....we had to search to find the "bad stuff."   To our kids?  The "bad stuff" searches for them.  Satan has gotten creative. 

Ok, Rant over.  I also prayed for forgiveness for judgment of this child.  My heart really does go out to her.  Something to think about.

Colossians 3:23
"And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;"

In Him,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment