Friday, August 2, 2013

Helicopter Mom!!

I hope ya like the change!  I get bored with things fast.....bedding, hair styles, decor, clothes, etc.  Hence....the new look of my blog!  :)  (I love saying "hence".....makes me sound oh so smart!  haha)  I originally chose pink for a couple of reasons.....The obvious being the whole "breast cancer" color and all, which was the whole motivation behind me starting to journal.  And, it was one of the general templates available, and I was more interested in getting started writing than feeling my way around the website to build a custom one.  Never really liked the look of the page, kinda looked like Pepto Bismal.....so I spent some time workin on it!  :)  Let me know what ya think!

Not really an eventful day.  Worked about 9 hours....Took a car load of dancing girls to lunch, broke up a brawl between Sam and Syd that literally ended in bloodshed, attended the parent meeting for football tonight, and came home to 4 giggling girls and sent Sammy for pizza.  The meeting got me excited about football season!  Last year, I felt so crummy so I just muddled through....but this year I'm so ready!  Jr. High games on Thursdays watchin my dancer.....Sr. High on Friday nights watchin my Panther.....and Razorback Saturdays!  Whoop!  Love it.

During the meeting, they had a college coach from Arkansas Tech visit to tell us some information on how college recruitment works....what to expect....how to prepare, etc.  While I don't expect Sam to really play football at the next level....He IS old enough to start looking at colleges, and thinking about preparations for after high school.  He is not big enough....at least right now.  But ya never know....so I listened.  As we sat in the big ole auditorium.....all the Jr. High Parents to the right, and the Sr. High Parents on the left.....I glanced over remembered how much time has flown since I sat on the "right".  I thought I was going to throw up.  Bible.

I listened to the speaker as he talked about the recruitment process.  He shared the differences in high school ball, and college ball....many were obvious, some were things I learned.  Anyway, he felt one thing important enough to not only bring it up....but it was really a "bullet point" on his slide show!  "Athletes with "Helicopter Moms" are expendable."

He went on to explain what the definition of a "Helicopter Mom" was.  Those who "hover" over their kids.  Don't let them breathe.  Who are all over them at the end of the game or after practice.  Who bug the coaches about everything.  Who don't let them grow up on their own and "be a man."  Instantly, Sam and David both cut their eyes to me.  I even think my shins were a tad bruised from them kickin me.  Ok, not really.  At first, that bothered me.

First of all, I never bug his coaches.  Never question playing time.  Like all parents, I sometimes don't understand coaching decisions....or I wonder what it is that Sam needs to do to get better, or to be more valuable.  But you won't see me blowing up their emails, or making phone calls, or even hanging around practices asking about playing time.  Or questioning the coaches.  They are the coach.  And what he says goes.  Period.  Have I been known to disagree?  Yep.  Does it break my heart when my son is unhappy as a result of riding the pine? You betcha.  But I know my boundaries and I respect them.  Many life lessons are learned on the field.  Football...Baseball....every sport. 

I pray about Sam as a young man.  I pray for Sam as an athlete.  That he foremost is safe and for the safety of his teammates and their opponents.  That he exhibit sportsmanship on AND off the field.  That he lift up his teammates especially when the game isn't going their way.  To always "hustle til AFTER the whistle blows" (I always say that to him as he gets out of the car!  haha) And I've always taught Sam that when you do something...especially when using your talents.....you do it for He who gave you those talents.  110%.  Give God the glory when he wins and praise Him when he doesn't.  We are blessed that Sam's coaches are Godly men who care about him.  In fact, when I think back....every man who has coached my son?  We worship with each Sunday morning.  I know that they, too, are praying for my Sam and his teammates.  They want him to grow and get better....just like I do. 

Do I hover?  Most likely.  lol  Sam is a self-proclaimed "Momma's boy."  He loves his Momma.  And I've always been involved in his growth through sports.  I'll never forget one time, I was yakkin in the stands to a girlfriend as the boys were warming up before a game, and David nudged me and said...."Wave your arms....he's lookin for you, Momma."  :)  Now that he drives, he gets to the ball field usually before me....and every game -- be it baseball or football -- I see him scan the stands until I wave.  I blow him a kiss and he gives me a nod with a smile.  It's kind of our thing.  And I love it.  Same thing with Syd.....its our thing.

After games....I am guilty of the drill.  I ask a million questions....about how he thought he did.  What he could have done better.  We discuss any errors and celebrate his good moments...ie, catches, touchdowns, base hits, etc.  We basically break it down.  I always ask if he got any coach feedback...good or bad.  I know it kinda bugs him.  When he was younger....parents heard the "coach's talk".....I always knew what was going on.  Now?  Its hard to be in the dark.  So I'm gonna try to do better about analyzing his game play.  To let him decompress after games and practices and let him share with me what he wants. 

THAT SAID, I will continue to love, support, and be his biggest fan.  While I can't always "fix it".....I won't go away.  If that makes me a "Helicopter Mom" then I am dang proud to be one!  <3  At first, when the coach presented this label in a negative light....for which it was meant I'm sure....I was a bit offended by those wonderful men who love me pointed their fingers at ME. :)  So much so...that before I knew it, I found myself volunteering to be the Junior Parent liaison to the booster club.  Lol Really....I'm happy to really dig in and help this year....last year I was unable to do much.  Anyway, I'm proud to wear that title.  I'm guilty of loving him too much.  Of caring too much.  Of worrying about him.  But, am willing to follow the boundaries.  To let him grow up.  And to let him be the man God wants him to be. 

I am the same way with Sydney.  Placing her happiness at the hands of others is one of the toughest parts of motherhood.  Hence....(hehe), the need for prayer. 

Oh...the changes.  I'm a "work in progress" for sure.  Very grateful for God's guidance.  He hasn't failed me yet.

The kiddos and I at the start of the 2012 Season....:)  Love these two! 
Go Panthers!!
 
 
In Him,
Terri





No comments:

Post a Comment