Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter.....

Today is a rainy lazy day here in my world. I've got one kiddo on a weekend road trip with her friend, and another here at home emersed in "March Madness." I have some chores that need to be tended to...but they are in the back burner as I am piled up with a couple of weenie dogs and the remote. They say "an idle mind is the Devil's playground". So here I am on my blog....recording my thoughts, determined not to let that happen.

Tomorrow is Easter. I've been pondering all day on what to wear. My closet is cracked open and I see all the clothes stuffed in there and I know I can find a few things that are appropriate. I remember growing up that Easter Sunday.....I would have a beautiful new dress and almost always a pretty white sweater (because its always cold!) and new Sunday shoes. WHITE shoes. Because it was finally proper to wear white since its ban from Labor Day. :) I would wake up to beautiful bright Easter baskets that always had candy, new pantyhose (yes, pantyhose....I know...ewwww!), and jewelry to match my Easter Dress. My favorite basket was back in the early 80's when "twist beads" were popular. I had a TON of them in my basket that year! My mom was the bomb.

Many years my brother would have a shirt or tie to match my dress and mom would take pictures. I know he was so thrilled. Church was always packed. And rows and rows of Easter lillies lined the alter of the church. You could smell them the minute you opened the door. We also have a "flowering cross" in which was a wooden cross in the front of the sanctuary....empty and dark. It was usually always present during all of the "holy week" activities. Members of the congregation would bring flowers from their yards and gardens....all colors and kinds....and place on the cross. Very beautiful.

Old hymns ....such as The Old Rugged Cross, Because He Lives...and of course..."UP from the grave He Arose...He Arose"....can still hear the pounding of the piano and organ leading us.

We usually attended the sunrise services and then went home to get all "prettied up" and back to Sunday School and church. After church was always a huge meal with family, more Kodak moments and memories. Easter egg hunts and eating too much. Jelly beans, chocolate bunnies, dying eggs, and usually a good old Sunday nap.

Growing up Methodist, I have always practiced the observation of Lent.....and given up something of value to me. Easter marked the end of the period and I could have back whatever "it" was. I was always SO happy for Easter Sunday to roll around!

Oh yeah, I also remember....it was about Jesus. I've been told the Easter story a thousand times in my life. But only recently has it really and truly sank in. What Christ actually went through for ME. More on that in a minute....

My kiddos and David got me watching "The Bible" on TV and its "finale" is on tomorrow night. We have even been competing with Bible quizzes from its phone app. We have used it as a tool to dig deep about Easter this year. And we have. I even, as late as last night, wondered why I haven't bought a new dress, or dug out the Easter baskets. For the first time in years, we haven't dyed eggs. You see? It's no longer about baskets and bunnies. About new clothes, new shoes, fresh manis and pedis and fake tans.

I know that tomorrow, church will be overflowing with people dressed beautifully, children with big smiles, and snazzy outfits. Families will be gathering around large tables with huge meals and wonderful desserts. You will see kiddos hunting eggs and having so much fun. Grandmothers will be thrilled to have all their kiddos and "grand-kiddos" with them for church and lunch.

Facebook and Instagram will be covered up with pictures of families and kiddos in the prettiest clothes ever. Since I gave up FB for Lent, I will be able to actually enjoy those pics! :).

We won't be wearing new clothes tomorrow. Yes, we will dig out our best most "springy" looking attire, and no one will know. We will take a picture together because we take a lot of pictures these days. You won't catch me in white shoes, because I don't own any, and I've not worn a pair of pantyhose since I left home for college! Haha. But we will be pressed and dressed in our Sunday best. We will most likely show up to church a bit early in order to park and get a seat. And share lunch together afterwards. And probably that nap before Part 5 of "The Bible"

I'm not in any way saying that any of the above is wrong.... God wants us in church. God wants us to enjoy holidays and family and friends. He wants us to have fun. He loves us So much.....that He gave us a reason for this day. The same premiss as Christmas..... Sometimes we fail to remember the reason.

My life has changed so much lately. I have really been in prayer and in study of what the meaning of Easter really is. He sent His son. In the flesh. To live and walk with us. To live and breathe as we do. To experience happiness and sadness. He was perfect in every way and experienced the ultimate human suffering. Can you imagine?

I guess in my lifetime, the closest depiction of what he went through was
"The Passion of Christ" movie a few years back. I remember having nightmares after seeing it the first time. The violence and gruesomeness was so extreme. I remember thinking that Mel might have taken it a little too far....that we would have gotten the idea with half the amount of time shown beating our Jesus. But since then, I really think how selfish of me to expect anyone to downplay the amount of human suffering that He experienced. Part of me is nervous to see tomorrow night's ending. I am scared of those reminders....again.

I look at my son. We have had a dark week around here. My heart breaks when he hurts....at the result of his own choices or at those of others....as a mother, I almost can't stand it. There is no other pain close to that of a parent hurting for their child. Just a glimmer of a glance at what God must have felt sacrificing His child. His beating. His crucifixion. Having the power to step in and save Him....like we as mothers wish we could ALL do. But instead he sent His sacrificial lamb for us....because we are ALL his children. And because of Easter, we are promised a walk in eternity with Him. The only way to heaven, is through Jesus. Salvation can only be obtained though Him. What a gift.

Easter should be everyday. We should see beautiful smiles and full church pews every Sunday. Myself included. I realize I've bordered on the offensive here and now I'm downright meddling....but today I praise Him. Tomorrow....Easter Sunday, I will praise Him.... And each day after I will praise Him. If we all celebrated Easter....the true ressurection of Christ Jesus....every day. What a gift back to Him?? What a gift.

I am so grateful of the grace tomorrow represents. And excited to celebrate His ascending into Heaven. Where He is waiting for me. Friends, please don't forget to place a cross in your Easter baskets tomorrow. Metaphorically speaking of course.....And never hide it.....<3

In Him,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment